There are two main groups of timber: hardwood and softwood. Each group has different species of tree associated with them, so for example Oak is a species of hardwood and Hemlock is a species of softwood. Choosing the correct timber species for your products is important, as each species has its own special properties.
A more in depth description of both Hardwoods and Softwoods can be found on this link:
With our years of experience we are able to make this decision easier for you.
The Timbers that we use are:
Softwoods:- Redwood pine, Hemlock.
Hardwoods:- European Oak, Sapele, Iroko, Idigbo, Eucalyptus.
Engineered laminated timbers: Sapele Mahogany, European Oak, Grandis Eucalyptus.
The benefits of engineered/laminated timbers:
- It's stronger: From it's multi-layer engineered construction.
- It's more stable: Its not like solid timber that tends to distort as it absorbs or expels moisture as it encounters various temperature changes: hence it is less likely to shrink or swell after installation.
- It creates less wastage: It eliminates defects and is clear of knots, splits and sapwood.
- It's reliable: The construction ensures the quality is consistently maintained throughout.
- It's 'greener': because it is 100% FSC certified, produces a much more efficient use of the logs.